On Saturday we were talking with Sam about going to nursery and he mentioned that the other kids tell him no to praying. Sam is extremely articulate for his age and I would imagine that he frequently volunteers to give the prayer in nursery. I would imagine that the other kids might not appreciate his prayers as much as we do at home. Sam says a lot of the same things over and over in his prayers and we find it amusing what his unique vain repetitions are. I thought I’d take a minute to record some of these here:
- Thank you for Mommy & Daddy that they should go on a date this morning and Grannie and Grandpa that they should go on a date too – We’re not sure how this started but every prayer Sam says includes this line. I especially love that he’s not just praying that we *will* go on a date, but thankful that we *did* go on a date (even though Eric and I pretty rarely go on formal dates). I also enjoy the fact that Eric and I apparently need help in this area, as do his parents, but my parents are doing just fine. Good job Mom & Dad :) Maybe Sam is just reinforcing John Wooden’s quote – “The best thing a father can do for his children is to love their mother.” Recently when we’ll ask him to say the prayer he will first protest “I can only do ones with Grannie and Grandpa in them”, which we tell him is great, we love his prayers with Grannie and Grandpa in them.
- Please bless Daniel that he can be a good example to his baby brother – I guess Daniel has a baby brother that we don’t know about (!?) I’m pretty sure this came about because we’ve before prayed for Sam that he could be a good example to his baby brother. Every so often Sam changes it and prays that Daniel can be a good example to his big brother
- Please bless this food that it will give us the nourish and strengthen us – For those of you who aren’t really familiar with Mormon culture I should explain. Normally when someone is giving a prayer prior to a meal they will ask for a blessing over the food. Often that involves using the phrase “please bless this food to give us the nourishment and strength that we need” or “please bless this food to nourish and strengthen us.” I guess Eric and I have used each of these phrases frequently enough that Sam has mashed them into a single phrase. The best part is he will say this even if we aren’t sitting down to eat anything!
- Please bless daddy that he can travel home safely – Again, this is said pretty much in every prayer, even if Sam is sitting on Eric’s lap, clearly negating the need for Eric to travel home safely, although we are not ungrateful for the added blessing of safety the next time he is away from us :)
- Please bless that we can go to Grannie and Grandpa’s and Bobo’s, and Uncle Mike’s and eat food and rice and that we can watch Rio and do good things today – Too bad we weren’t able to do all those things , that would have made for a fun day!
- Please bless Daniel, to nourish and strengthen us – We laughed about this one for days. Evidently Sam was taking to cannibalism and Daniel was going to be the first to go!
- Thank you that I am Superman – This was just last night. Sam had gotten some new Superman pajamas and was wearing them while saying his prayers. This was just such a cute way to phrase it and we loved it!
- Thank you for headphones and hot dogs and Aunt Tay Tay – This is an old one and I’ve posted about it before, but I think it bears repeating. Taylor was just honored that Sam was as thankful for her as he was for headphones and hot dogs – that’s high praise from Sam!
I’m sure there’s lots of other things I could post about that Sam has prayed for in the past, but that’s all I can come up with off the top of my head and from a search through my GMail/Google Talk history. We sure like this kid and his awesome personality.